Saturday, July 12, 2008

Rattlesnake Heaven

The two things I didn't expect are the hills and the rattlesnakes. The hills are crawling with snakes. You see the on the road, dead, all the time: big ones, little ones, fat ones... Terry the Postmaster told me how three of her horses have been bit. The two bit in the nose lived. The one bit on the leg died.

I must have passed 50 rattlesnakes today alone. Yesterday I saw a perfect one, the only way you could tell it was dead was it was on its back. I was tempted to stop and put it on its belly and take a picture, but then I could see this headline in "Knuckleheads In The News."

Possum Playing Snake Supprises Silly Cyclist

So no pics!

Today was the first good cycling day. This morning was cool and overcast (perfect!) The afternoon was clear and cool with a light southwest wind. So I had a headwind the last 50 miles, but I made it to Lucas.

I don't know what I'll do tomorrow: ride or take a break. My butt is killing me!!! The blisters put me in agony, but frankly they'll take more than a day to heal. So I don't know what I"ll do. Probably ride.

By the way, there is no way on Gods green Earth I'll do this in 10 days. Nor 11. Twelve would be a miracle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

" My butt is killing me!!! The blisters put me in agony, "

That’ a lesson one stubborn never learn - wear the dammed padded bike pants" take an old women advice, hung in Doug and do no rush YOU CAN DO IT! do not forget eat a lot of popsicles, Sarah L.