Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Assault on Boston

Well, I began my assault on Boston! I made it to Erie, PA yesterday, 105 miles. I hope to make it a little past Buffalo today. I'm not sure what route I will take, but it's been pretty easy so far.....flat. I'm riding with Larry today, another bike rider who's riding around Lake Erie.

That was the blog post I called in to my office. It was short because Larry had loaned me his cell phone to make the call, and I didn't want to burn up his minutes.

Yesterday, the day I started to Boston, was a hot day; in the 90's until I got to Erie. In Ohio I stopped at the post office of North Kingsville, about 15 miles from the Pennsylvania border. I was sitting there resting and people watching. A car with two old ladies pulled up. I listened to their conversation. At one point they were talking about how old they were, and their ailments. The younger one, 86, couldn't see very well so the 92 year old was driving. The three of us talked a bit, and I asked which way they were going. "East!" came the reply.

I decided to wait 'til they left before starting out. I didn't want them behind me.

I waited and waited. Finally they left the post office, driving off...West!

"Oh well, it was a good break." I thought as I started riding. Two miles later I was coasting down a wee little hill and hit some glass. Reaching back behind, I put my palm on the spinning rear tire, trying to clear any glass. I felt something hit my hand. Then again and again, as the wheel spun. Pulling over and dismounting, I checked the tire. Damn! The glass had slit it. Should I replace the tire now or wait for it to go flat? I decided to wait for it to go flat, and started on my way.

Ten minutes latter the two old ladies drove past without any problem.

No comments: