Friday, July 18, 2008

I Asked My Body

A friend, who is a doctor, told me to make sure I listened to my body. Today was another killer day,weather wise: 90+ degrees 80% RH. I'd ridden 40 miles and crawled, no, clawed my way up the last hill. The town, Salisbury, had a hotel. I was, to quote my father, "bushed." I was pretty sure I should call it a day and stay here. I asked the owner: "Any more motels between here and Moberly?

"No. "

"Any place to get water?"

"No."

"How far to Moberly?"

"Twenty miles."

"Do you mind if I sit out front and think about it?"

"No, go ahead."

So I sat in the sun, waiting for the answer. I picked off a tick crawling up my arm and crushed it between my fingers.

My body whispered, softly to me: "For you, Doug. For you, I have twenty miles. But I can do no more."

The last ten miles was in rush hour traffic. Cars raced by, literally inches from me: 60, 70, 80 mph. People screamed obscenities. As if I wanted to be here in hell, terrified that some idiot in a hurry would hit me and tear my body apart. That I would instantly become an unrecognizable pile of blood, guts, and bones.

In Moberly I had a reservation at the Holiday Inn. I told them about the ride; about the Davis Phinney Foundation. I asked if they could give me a discount. Jamie said "Sure. It was on the house." I was dumbfounded!

The room is beautiful, clean, quiet. The staff is friendly and helpful. What more could you ask from a motel? Fresh chocolate chip cookies perhaps? I'm munching on one as I write.

Other events today: Lots of cockroaches in my room at the Super 8 in Carrollton, crossing a creek that was having the bridge replaced. Randy picked-up my fully loaded bike and carried it up hill like it weighed no more than a book.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Doug:You are GREAT entertainment! For many reasons. Be smart, take care of you. We love you. Dad's watching. You CAN do this! Barbara :)

anita said...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Greetings and Felicitations, Doug!

Hear! Hear! I second that emotion -- Barbara's, that is, about what great entertainment you are. That's why (as i said before) i enjoy reading your posts so much, and it's also why i look forward with eager anticipation to such time as you get your book published. You are a great writer!

I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to do what you're doing. Only a couple more days, Doug, and this leg of the journey will be behind you. When you start paralleling the river (the Mississippi), i'm thinking it might ease up a bit? At least, i hope so!

This will probably be my last post until next week ... i'm off to the DZ, headed for Perris and its sweltering climate (i think i need to have my head examined -- how foolish to be jumping in the desert in the middle of summer, with all the dust devils around to hike up the risk factor).

Rest well (it's only 11:00 p.m. here, while it's 1:00 a.m. where you are, and hopefully, you're sleeping soundly and getting some badly needed body resuscitation) -- and do take care of yourself.

Love and hugs,
<3 anita

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Antonetta said...

Only 132 miles to St Louis. You can do it!!

Joy Bahniuk said...

I left the above message!

Anonymous said...

Anita, you correct Doug is a good writer! He not only publish his "White line to Denver "book but will start on new one this fall as soon as he finish second leg(Clev-Boston )and that's a promise! GO DOUG WHOOOOOOO front wheel of bike in ST.Louis already :)Sarah.L
Ps- Doug,thanks for great advice knee pads works wanders!

Forrest said...

Hello Doug;

Forrest from KS here. Met you in Bennington.

This morning my 7 yr old son and my old self biked 1/2 mile uphill both ways to the crick to watch him play in the cool water. On the way back to the house I thot of you and your ride and decided that I couldn't keep up with you if I tried.

I could have warned you of the wild traffic ahead but you already knew it.

104 here today and no wind. Hope it better there. God be with you.

Back to the Shadows of Buffalo Bill.....Forrest

tomausmichigan said...

Douglas.

VERY interesting read and ride! Watch out for those internal combustion vehicles: they are merciless!! This information may be too late, but according to measurements of scale, Kansas is actually flatter than a pancake!!! Nice photos too!!!!