Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Amelia baby, where are you?

When I think about this upcoming ride I'm reminded of Amelia Earhart. She wasn't really prepared when she took off from Indonesia to fly to Howland Island. I wonder how prepared I am. Can I avoid disaster?

On July 7, 2008, I'm leaving Denver, Colorado and riding my bicycle to Boston, Massachusetts. Solo. By myself, no sag wagon. I haven't been able to train nearly as much as I should. Last night (6-16-08) I rode up Brigham Road hill (Gates Mills, Ohio). It's about three quarters of a mile long and the grade is about 8-9%.

What a bitch!

My legs were burning so badly! I almost thought I wasn't going to make it.

I did think I wasn't going to make it.

I got dizzy and light headed. The only reason I made it to the top is because I am so stubborn. I could have shifted to a lower gear (I was in fourth) but that would have been cheating, wouldn't it? I'm not trying to make this easy.

Will, I have another two weeks to train. Maybe I'll get stronger. Maybe I'll ride up Brigham a couple of more times.

And that's why I wonder: "Can I do it?".

1 comment:

06chevytruck said...

Doug,
You can do it. You have to becuase I've got alot to learn at Adelsys. You've taught me alot but not enough. So all ive got to say is Good luck and if you want I can drive you half the way to Boston if you want? I wont tell anyone.
Matt