Monday, June 30, 2008

Thinking positive: I am positive this is going to be tough!

A friend complained to me about my (former) blog title "Can He Do It?".

"Much too negative." she said.

The reason I'm negative is I'm facing reality, and the reality is: I'm not sure I can do it. I really am not. 1,700 miles is a long haul on a bicycle. None the less, I've acquiesced to her wishes and changed the title to something more positive.

My route and timeline is planned. It is:

Day 1. Leaving Denver, take Route 36 east to either Last Chance (90 miles), Lindon (100 miles) or Anton (110 miles).

Day 2. Route 36 to St. Frances, Kansas (100 miles from Lindon).

Day 3. Route 36 to Norton or Philipsburg.

Day4. Either173 or 183 south to route 18. Take 18 to 176 to Lucas.

Day 5. Route 18 to Junction City (about 75 miles).

Day 6. Route 18 to Manhattan (No, not that Manhattan!) to route 24 to Topeka.

Day 7. Stay on 24 to Lavasy (30 miles) to Carrolton (71 miles).

Day 8. Route 24 to Keytesville (30 miles) to Moberly (60 miles) to Paris (90 miles).

Day 9. Route 154 to 54, through Curryville, through Bowling Green, to Louisiana.

Day 10. Route 79 south to St. Louis. Roughly 90 miles.

That's the plan. It's ambitious, but if I can do it in 11 days I'll still be happy. Twelve days I'll take. Beyond that, I'll be disappointed but only because it's going to kick up the cost of my airline ticket. I'll still be quite happy that I completed the first half of this sojourn!

One last thing: I need feedback. If you read these posts, please let me know. I'm writing for your entertainment, and if no one is reading these things, well, I've got better things to do.

1 comment:

anita said...

* * * * * * *

Hi Doug!

Thanks for posting the route... i'd been waiting to find out what it was going to be.

The new blog title is definitely better than the old one, particularly because you already used that title last year. :)

Hang in there, baby!!!

* * * * * * *