Friday, August 8, 2008

Whooooo!!! Whoooooo!!!

Will I made it! A little over 667 miles, from Cleveland to Beantown. After a lot of mountains, days of rain, and countless trucks and cars, and I was standing in front of the U.S.S. Constitution.

The final 40 miles were the worst: I took route 9 from Worcester to Boston and that was a BIG mistake. It started out ok, but the road narrowed down, trapping me in a spider's web of 60 mph cars, ruthless ruts, and concrete barriers. I honestly thought I would die; that's not an exaggeration. I was sure that someone would plow into me and crush me like a grape.

So why didn't I get off? Well, what choice did I really have? This was it, there were no back roads. So I pushed the thoughts of death out of my mind and rode in the center of the lane, where I assumed I would be the most apparent to drivers. I didn't pray; I just rode. Miserably (sic). Scared. Like so many times before.

The road became two lanes in each direction. In my direction there were often no shoulders, just concrete fences. No wiggle room. None.

The speed limit was 55 mph. We all know what that means: it's a starting point. The ruts on the lanes' right side were so deep I had no choice but to ride in the middle of the lane. Think of a riding a bicycle in the middle of the lane of a local expressway during rush hour. If that isn't terrifying, I don't know what is!

Now for the good part. Most of the drivers seemed understanding. No one blew their horn, flipped me off, or yelled. They knew I didn't want to be there. They just slowed down and passed me. Boston drivers are polite?! Don't pass that secret on!

The car that was to use me for a hood ornament was far behind me; our paths didn't cross.

It's hard to believe I did it, but I rode from one ocean to another. I meet so many really great people. James from Springfield. Joyce and Aldon in Kansas. Gary and Tracy in St. Louis. Richard and Anita in Denver. Jan and David in Erie. There were so many that helped, even if was just giving me water! The list is long, but you were all like spokes in a wheel, enabling me to make and complete the journey.

So thank you everyone! Thank you for helping me realize a dream, and thank you for contributing to my cause! I owe each one of you, and without your help I would have never made it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pqonrtYEA Doug!
Congratulations on your accomplishment. I've been following your progress this year through your blog and though Terry, especially the Cleveland to Boston part as I had used to live in Massachusetts (outside of Springfield). I won't let your secret out about the MA drivers because New Englanders have a reputation (which I personally think they are proud of!) of being 'snobby' and 'to themselves' but you experienced quite the opposite which is the reason why I keep going back to visit as much as I can (plus to enjoy the beauty of that little part of our country!) I've driven Route 20 and Route 9 numerous times and it's scary enough in a car let alone on a bike!!! Kudos to you! Enjoy your weekend in Beantown!
Dawn (Terry's co-worker from Cleveland Clinic)