Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Guy Was Waiting For Me

After I left Pittsfield, I rode on Route 20 toward Springfield. After about 20 miles, I rounded a corner. the guy was there looking toward me; making eye contact: "Sir! Can I talk with you?"

I wondered what he wanted. I hadn't flipped anyone off all morning; maybe he wanted directions. I pulled over.

"Sir, can I shake your hand?" he asked. "I saw you riding in Cazenovia, NY a few days ago! When I saw you again just now, I had to shake your hand!"

Daryl is a civil engineer. He had seen me just after I crested the monster in Cazenovia. We talked a while: He hit 56 mph going down that hill on his bike. I told him about my ride. Great guy!

We shook hands again. I hate to sound too sentimental, but there are a lot of good people in this country. On this trip I've been fortunate enough to meet a few.

1 comment:

anita said...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hi Doug!

Just got back today from the sticks (the wilds of Lost Prairie in Montana), where my cell phone doesn't work and i don't have computer access, so it was really a challenge to try and stay informed of your progress. It was good to log into your blog page and read how your Cleveland-to-Boston leg was going.

By the way, the 41st annual Lost Prairie boogie was great! (Maybe one of these years you might go to it?)

It's always thoroughly enjoyable to read your wry and witty (and sometimes very moving) commentary! Thanks for the updates, and keep on pumping!

<3 anita

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *