Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Radio Active

If you know me you know I like my secrets; I like my games too.

So yesterday I met a powerful man, who will remain anonymous. A really nice guy! He got the Springfield newspaper to write an article about the ride. This morning, when I got back to my room from breakfast, the message light on my phone was flashing. A local radio station wanted me to do an interview. I was happy to oblige.

Also yesterday I met Mary and her daughter Heather. Mary's husband raises bees. She told me how he has to keep the hives on their roof so the black bears won't raid them. There is also a local wild turkey that attacks people that she warned me about. Mary gave me a Coke and we talked for quite a while. She and her husband are fighting a proposed cell phone tower and I tried to explain to her how radio waves work. I'm not sure that I did a good job of it. After leaving Mary's house it was a long, long, downhill ride. It was maybe 10 miles downhill. Nice.

This morning it was pouring rain outside; I really futzed around looking for excuses to not ride. I finally got started around 9:30 a.m.

The ride to Worcester was fairly uneventful. It rained on and off and I had a long grinding ride uphill against the wind. After I got to Worcester, I rode to downtown and looked for a Hampton Inn. I ran into Laura, she gave me directions and I was off. But I got lost again.

Again I ran into Laura, now in a different part of town (told you there was a lot of weird things on this ride!) She gave me directions again. On the way, I came across a Hilton. They gave me a REALLY good rate (yeah Hilton!) so I'm staying there. I should complete the ride tomorrow, God willing.

No comments: